BREAKING FREE FROM THE SPIRIT OF AHAB
“In the thirty-eighth year of Asa king of Judah, Ahab the son of Omri became king over Israel; and Ahab the son of Omri reigned over Israel in Samaria twenty-two years. Now Ahab the son of Omri did evil in the sight of the LORD, more than all who were before him. And it came to pass, as though it had been a trivial thing for him to walk in the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, that he took as wife Jezebel the daughter of Ethbaal, king of the Sidonians; and he went and served Baal and worshiped him. Then he set up an altar for Baal in the temple of Baal, which he had built in Samaria. And Ahab made a wooden image. Ahab did more to provoke the LORD God of Israel to anger than all the kings of Israel who were before him.”
I Kings 16:29-33 NKJV
1 Kings 16:29 through 22:40 contains the narrative of Ahab’s reign. His reign was slightly more emphasised upon than the previous kings, due to his blatant trivialization of the “sins of Jeroboam”, which the previous kings of Israel were plagued by, and his subsequent marriage with a pagan princess, the nationwide institution of Baal worship, the persecution of Yahweh’s prophets and Naboth’s shocking murder. These offenses and atrocities stirred up populist resentment from figures such as Elijah and Micaiah. Indeed, he is referred to by the author of Kings as being “more evil than all the kings before him” (1 Kings 16:30).
Ahab married Jezebel, the daughter of the King of Tyre. 1 Kings 16–22 tells the story of Ahab and Jezebel, and indicates that Jezebel was a dominant influence on Ahab, inciting him to abandon Yahweh and worship and institute the religion of Baal in Israel. Ahab lived in Samaria, the royal capital established by Omri, and built a temple and altar to Baal there. This led to severe consequences for Israel, including a drought that lasted for several years and Jezebel’s fanatical religious persecution of the prophets of Yahweh, which Ahab condoned. His reputation was so negative that the author of Kings attributed the deaths of Abiram and Segub, the sons of Hiel of Bethel, caused by their father’s invocation of Joshua’s curse several centuries ago, to his reign in 1 Kings 16:34. He was succeeded by Ahaziah and Jehoram, who reigned over Israel until Jehu’s revolt of 842 BC.
Nonetheless, there were achievements that the author took note of, including his ability to fortify numerous Israelite cities and build an ivory palace (1 Kings 22:39). Adherents of the Yahwist religion found their principal champion in Elijah. His denunciation of the royal dynasty of Israel and his emphatic insistence on the worship of Yahweh and Yahweh alone, illustrated by the contest between Yahweh and Baal on Mount Carmel (1 Kings 18), form the keynote to a period which culminated in the accession of Jehu, an event in which Elijah’s chosen disciple Elisha was the leading figure and the Omride Dynasty was brutally defeated.
Characteristics of the spirit of Ahab:
– Does not like confrontation
– Has a hard time being a strong spiritual godly leader
– Strong desire to make everyone happy
– Afraid of rejection and people not liking you
– Does not like taking responsibility
– Feels more secure being married to someone who will take charge
– Mercy heart
– Compromises on godliness & sexual purity
– Expecting bad things to take place
– Avoiding telling people what they need to do and passively putting up with bad behavior
– If someone is angry with you then you believe it must be your fault
– Believe it is your duty to make everyone happy and comfortable
– Believe what others say about them (if they say you are not a good person then you believe it)
– Have a challenge making decisions
– Believe you should always act happy in spite of hardship or trouble
– Always feel a failure, unaccepted, insecure
– Happiness and peace based on current circumstances and how loved, affirmed and accepted they feel
– Give power away in order for other people to validate your identity and to tell you who you are
– Fears abandonment and become clingy, needy and helpless
– Never take up your God-given freedom and refuse to step up and become assertive and command respect
– Usually do not forgive yourself and often has issues with God
– Overly merciful and tried to see the best in everyone – overlooks the bad
– Forgive others too quickly without making them aware of their offenses
– Will do anything to gain acceptance
– Very nice person – too nice
– Have low self-esteem and try to gain ground by winning acceptance
– Sins of omission (allows Jezebel to control)
1) To overcome Ahab we need to repent for tolerating sin, compromising God’s values and righteousness, and allowing our spouse to be an idol and bowing down to the demons within them.
2) Ask the Lord to anoint you so that you are bold and confident in Christ
3) Press in to learn who you really are in Christ – a mighty man or woman of valor and then speak it out daily over your life out loud
4) Pray in tongues regularly
5) Hear the Lords voice and do what He says and never allow the voice of Jezebel to make you cower to them and their threats
6) Do not allow yourself to be manipulated by Jezebel – just say no
7) If you’re spouse has a very strong Jezebel spirit and refuses to humble themselves and agree to deliverance you will need to separate in order to break free from Ahab and get stronger in who you are. You will then become healthier as you will experience more peace.
8) It’s important for you to have someone in a godly ministry who has overcome the spirit of Ahab (passiveness) to mentor you and provide support
If you have a spouse with Jezebel and he or she chooses not to humble themselves, repent and get delivered then you must choose who you will serve. The demons in them or God. I chose God and had to separate after many years and chances for my ex wife to repent and get right with the Lord. She chose to keep her demons and not get delivered. God then used me to start a ministry working with people around the world to help them get freed from Jezebel, Ahab and Leviathan and every other demon and break off witchcraft and get their soul wounds healed.
You must choose to serve God. You cannot serve the demons in your spouse, your parents or anyone and serve God.
The Lord had me confront two pastors who were hurting people in their church of 200 members as they were in pride and sin. God’s anointing came upon me to speak boldly to them about their sin, tolerating Jezebel within themselves and church leaders and allowing corruption and sexual impurity. They refused to repent. Within ten months of the meeting their church dwindled to less than 20 people left. God shut it down as their sin was exposed by the Lord. He sold the church to the humane society and the Lord said “Just as Jezebel was eaten by the dogs I sold the church to the dogs.”
“For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.”
Romans 1:18-32 NKJV
It’s time to break free from the spirit of Ahab and be bold and confident in the Lord. Obeying God over fear of anyone else.