The Mayo clinic defines Narcissistic Personality Disorder — as one of several types of personality disorders — as a mental condition in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for excessive attention and admiration, troubled relationships, and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence lies a fragile self-esteem that’s vulnerable to the slightest criticism.
Signs and symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder and the severity of symptoms vary. People with the disorder can:
- Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance
- Have a sense of entitlement and require constant, excessive admiration
- Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
- Exaggerate achievements and talents
- Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
- Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people
- Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior
- Expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations
- Take advantage of others to get what they want
- Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
- Be envious of others and believe others envy them
- Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious
- Insist on having the best of everything — for instance, the best car or office
At the same time, people with narcissistic personality disorder have trouble handling anything they perceive as criticism, and they can:
- Become impatient or angry when they don’t receive special treatment
- Have significant interpersonal problems and easily feel slighted
- React with rage or contempt and try to belittle the other person to make themselves appear superior
- Have difficulty regulating emotions and behavior
- Experience major problems dealing with stress and adapting to change
- Feel depressed and moody because they fall short of perfection
- Have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, vulnerability and humiliation
People who have NPD are those who have been hurt deeply when growing up, often by a father or mother who treated them harshly emotionally and verbally and sometimes physically or sexually. They could also have been hurt by a step-parent or other relatives or been sexually molested, shown pornography, been touched, or raped.
Once a child gets hurt deeply growing up they will hear voices in their head (demons which speak to them) causing them to be feel tormented, rejected, vengeful, anger, bitter, sexually promiscuous or impure, prideful, arrogant, entitled, jealous, selfish, insecure and unable to have any empathy for others. The demons have legal rights to torment the person due to the anger, bitterness and vengefulness that the person has for those who hurt them. The demons can have additional legal rights through any sexual sin that the person is usually in.
The spiritual root of Narcissistic Personality Disorder is the Jezebel and Leviathan Spirits. Jezebel was an evil woman who was married to Ahab in 1 and 2 Kings and also mentioned in Revelation 2:18-23. The Leviathan Spirit is described in Job 41 and talks about people who struggle with it will have a lot of pride (Job 41:34). God is not happy with the men and women who operate in it as he states in Proverbs 6:16-19:
Proverbs 6:16-19 NKJV
16 These six things the Lord hates,
Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:
17 A proud look,
A lying tongue,
Hands that shed innocent blood,
18 A heart that devises wicked plans,
Feet that are swift in running to evil,
19 A false witness who speaks lies,
And one who sows discord among brethren.
The psychological community would state that those who are diagnosed with NPD are unable to change. That there is no medication that can help. At Restored to Freedom we have seen thousands of people (both women and men) who have struggled with what would be called NPD to change but it is not easy due to the strength of the demonic spirits of Jezebel and Leviathan over the people. In order to change they must:
- Be honest with their negative behavior and take responsibility for it and recognize that they need help
- They must be able to truly forgive all those who have ever hurt them (especially when they were young). This takes asking Jesus to show them all those who hurt them from His perspective so they can understand that those people were also hurt when they were growing up and heard demons speaking to them causing them to hurt them.
- They must pursue humility as pride will cause them to struggle with owning their bad behavior and want to see themselves as an innocent victim to try and get people to feel sorry for them instead of humbling themselves and admitting the negative behavior they have done to others.
- They must repent for their sins before Jesus and break off all legal rights that the demons have had with them through forgiving everyone, repenting for their own sins and anything they have done which has given the demons legal rights to torment them
This process could take a person weeks, months or years to truly be healed from all their soul wounds and delivered from their demons. It is up to each person how long it takes due to their willingness to be honest with their bad behavior, own their own sins and repent for them, humble themselves from their pride, and truly forgive others with all their heart and soul. They need to stop looking at themselves as a victim and take responsibility.
We have seen complete transformations of people at Restored to Freedom since 2015 as those who would have been diagnosed as Narcissists have seen their facial countenance changed as well as their personality changed to a loving, kind, gentle, humble and caring person. They now have the fruit of the spirit and most have testified that they would not have gone to heaven had they died before getting delivered as their fruit was of the flesh and not of the spirit. Many have seen their marriages saved from divorce when both husband and wife have pursued healing and deliverance. My first book “Restored to Freedom” has been my best seller and is available in three languages as well as paperback, Kindle and Audible. My latest book “Freedom From Soul Wounds and Demons” that was just released in October is helping thousands around the world to get healed from their past wounds and delivered from their demons.